Frequently Asked Questions

For more information regarding the quality of your water and potential water system solutions, continue reading below for frequently asked questions. If you have questions or concerns, give us a call today. Please also visit these various resources for further information:

There are three basic types of water: service grade water, working grade water, and drinking water. Service grade water is untreated, and should not be used for tasks within the home. Service grade water is typically used for watering lawns & plants, washing your patio or driveway, or other outdoor activities. Working grade water undergoes water treatments, and is safe to use inside your home. The typical household has working grade water. This water is used for washing clothes, dishes, and general household cleaning. The most pure water is drinking water. Drinking water can be consumed without the risk of immediate or long-term harm. Since 75% of the human body is made up of water, it is essential for you to use drinking water when you cook and drink.

Although there will be a slight change in sodium found in your water, the difference will be so small you will not be able to taste the difference between treated and untreated water.

All water starts out as soft water, however, as it falls through the atmosphere and filters through rocks, sand, and soil, it picks up minerals from these objects. If your water has a high mineral content, it is hard water. Hard water minerals primarily consist of magnesium, calcium, bicarbonates, and sulfates.

Water hardness is confirmed by scale buildup on plumbing fixtures, by soap deposits on dishes and fabrics; hard water scale in your water heater and soap scum rings in sinks and bathtubs.

Orange, Brown or black stains found in dishwasher or clothes washer are usually from high levels of magnesium. Magnesium that is dissolved in water can stain when the level is above .05mg/l. The dishwasher is a perfect machine to oxidize it because it heats it, agitates it and mixes the water with air. Manganese can also stain clothes in the washing machine, due to the same reasons. Furthermore, if bleach is added, staining is worse.

Sulfur is a naturally occurring contaminant, which gives water a rotten egg odor or taste. There are no known health effects; however, sulfur is corrosive and can cause damage to your plumbing.

Yes; the test should include a minimum of hardness, iron, and pH. The Water Doctor has the equipment to test your water accurately and can also demonstrate the value of clean, soft water opposed to the cost of untreated water. To schedule a water treatment appointment, call us at 1-800-748-1420.

Your water supply is pumped from an aquifer or lake and although it is treated by the city approximately 2% has been treated for in-home use. The remaining 98% is for industrial or municipal use. The City may have treated this household water to a very high degree; that meets or exceed the EPA standards however; it would still need to travel through miles of pipe to reach your home.
This is why more water treatment is necessary when water enters your home.

There are over 30,000 pesticides that are made from 600 chemical compounds – all potentially ending up in our water supply. Every year millions of gallons of hazardous chemical wastes are dumped into our environment. Our landfills, ponds, pits and lagoons in the U.S. contain some of the most dangerous substances known with the potential of ending up in our water supply.
This is why water treatment is necessary when water enters your home.

Service Hours

  • Mon – Fri8:00 am – 4:30 pm
  • Sat & SunClosed

Office Hours

  • Mon – Fri8:00 am – 5:00 pm
  • Sat & SunClosed
  • 24 Hour Live Answering